|Writers:||Bruce Joel Rubin and Michael Tolkin|
|Director of Photography:||Dietrich Lohmann|
|Production Designer:||Leslie Dilley|
|Producers:||David Brown and Richard D. Zanuck|
|Paramount; PG-13;120 minutes|
|Cast:||Robert Duvall, Téa Leoni, Elijah Wood, Vanessa Redgrave, Morgan Freeman, Maximilian Schell, James Cromwell, Ron Eldard, Jon Favreau, Laura Innes, Mary McCormack, Richard Schiff, Leelee Sobieski and Blair Underwood|
The coming millennium made them as inevitable as the Year 2000 computer glitch: the apocalyptic disaster flicks. But who would have predicted that Paramount/DreamWorks' big budget contribution to the Armageddon genre would hinge on serious drama? Action collides with human interest in Leder's calamitous tale about a comet colliding with Earth. When the President of the United States (Freeman) confirms that the comet's impact is going to cause “an extinction-level event,” world leaders scramble to come up with a plan to save as many people as possible. Plan A: blow the rock out of the sky; Plan B: run for cover. Meanwhile, people prepare for doomsday by making peace with family and friends. Leoni stars as a reporter who seeks to patch up a bad relationship with her parents (Redgrave and Schell). Duvall is the pilot who leads the failed space mission to stop the rock and Wood plays a high-school kid who marries his girlfriend so they can secure a spot in the emergency underground caves. Because Leder takes the time to create genuine characters, the post-impact action is not just a special effects big-bang, but a shocking portrait of human loss.
More on Deep Impact from Infoplease:
- Science News of 2010 - Major science news stories of 2010, from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to the Chilean miners trapped underground
- Science News of 2011 - Major science news stories of 2011, from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to the Chilean miners trapped underground
- July 2005 - July 2005 World Diplomats Kidnapped in Iraq (July 3): Ihab al-Sharif, who was to become Egypt's ...
- 2010 Science News: Why Is the Universe Composed of Matter? - Science News of 2010 Major science news stories, from the BP oil spill to the Chilean miners ...
- Science News of 2012 - Major science news stories of 2012, including advances in understanding cancer, Hurricane Sandy, deadly meningitis outbreak, EEE and West Nile virus