Pat Conroyfiction and nonfiction writer
Birthplace: Atlanta, Georgia
Southern writer whose career was launched in 1972 with The Water Is Wide, a nonfiction book about teaching black children in the south. The son of a Marine Corps pilot and a graduate of The Citadel, much of Conroy's fiction is based on autobiographical experiences of childhood abuse and military school. Several of his novels, including The Great Santini (1977) and The Prince of Tides (1986), were made into major Hollywood movies. Conroy cowrote the screenplay for The Prince of Tides (1992), which starred Barbra Streisand and Nick Nolte.
More on Pat Conroy from Infoplease:
- Prince of Tides, The (1991) - Starring Nick Nolte, Barbra Streisand, Blythe Danner, Kate Nelligan, Jeroen Krabbé
- October 26 Birthdays: Mahalia Jackson - October 26 birthdays: Mahalia Jackson, Jon Heder, Sasha Cohen, Keith Urban, Pat Conroy, Domenico Scarlatti, Francois Mitterrand , Hillary Rodham Clinton , Beryl Markham, Bob Hoskins
- South Carolina - Information on South Carolina — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- 1991 Academy Awards - 1991 Academy Awards The 1991 Academy Awards were presented March 30, 1992 at the Dorothy Chandler ...
- Selected Biographies: C - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters