|Director/Writer:|| Harmony Korine|
|Director of Photography:||Jean Yves Escoffier|
|Production Designer:||Dave Doernberg|
|Fine Line; R; 95 minutes|
|Cast:||Jacob Reynolds, Nick Sutton, Jacob Sewell, Darby Dougherty, Chloe Sevigny, Carisa Bara, Linda Manz and Max Perlich|
What 23-year-old Korine, the writer of Kids, intended with Gummo is not exactly clear. What he has created is no more obvious. (Though the New York Times's Janet Maslin has an idea: “The worst film of the year.”) There's no narrative, the pacing is out of whack and the shock factor is way up there. Let's chalk it up to a complacent Gen-Xer trying too hard to be coolly detached from the world in which he's found some respect and success. The film follows the exploits of two boys (Reynolds and Sutton) from the white trash town of Xenia, Ohio, who kill cats and sell them to a Chinese restaurant. Many of the scenes are downright offensive, with targets that include homosexuals, blacks, dwarfs and retarded people. In the end, Korine is likely to piss off a lot of people with Gummo. What he may gain remains to be seen, but it doesn't seem like much.
More on Gummo from Infoplease:
- Gummo - Starring Jacob Reynolds, Nick Sutton, Chloe Sevigny, Wendall Carr, Jason Guzak
- Marx Brothers - Marx Brothers comedians Team of film, vaudeville and Broadway comedians known for surreal humor and ...
- Marx Brothers - Marx Brothers Marx Brothers, team of American movie comedians. The members were Julius ...
- Groucho Marx - Biography of Groucho Marx, The mustachioed leader of the Marx Brothers
- Julien Donkey-Boy - Julien Donkey-Boy Director/Writer: Harmony Korine Release: 10/99 Cast: Ewen Bremner, Werner Herzog, ...