A sprawling sonic fest of surging rhythms, samples, loops, layers and crackling melodies, Pop further enhanced U2's reputation for turning risk-taking into an art form. In the same spirit that 1991's Achtung Baby rode an industrial-strength wave, this album broke across electronic rhythm lines. Paying mock homage to societal decadence in a tabloid world, its themes touch on everyone from Michael Jackson and O.J. to Big Macs and talk shows. At a point where they could be cruising in the comfort zone, U2 continues to evolve. Calculated perhaps, but never boring, Pop proves to be tough, trashy and techno-fied.
— Kevin O'Hare
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on U2 from Infoplease:
- U2 - U2 All That You Can't Leave Behind Interscope Amazingly, after 22 years together, U2 has ...
- U2 - U2 The Best of 1980–1990 Island/Polygram Despite a questionable marketing move in which a ...
- Year in Review 2000 | Music - The Year in Music Eminem, Britney Spears, and the flap over Napster by Kevin O'Hare QUICK POLL ...
- Year in Review: Music in 2000 - The Year in Music by Kevin O'Hare QUICK POLL What was your favorite album of 2000? U2, All That ...
- Year in Review 2001 | Music - What happened in music in 2001