Rhyme and Reason
|Director:|| Peter Spirer|
|Directors of Photography:||Peter Spirer, Daniel Sollinger, George Mitas, Sean Adair, Brennan McClean, Alex Rappaport, Adam Vardy and Antonio Ponti|
|Editors:||Andy Robertson and David Wilson|
|Producers:||Charles X Block, Peter Spirer and Daniel Sollinger|
|Miramax; R; 90 minutes|
|With:||A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan, Fugees, Notorious B.I.G., Heavy D, Salt-N-Pepa, Nas, Tupac Shakur and Dr. Dre|
This documentary examines the history and culture of hip-hop, the $3-billion industry that has been lambasted by politicians, priests and family-values advocates, and asks the musicians to assess the influence of their art. Rhyme and Reason follows rap from its infancy in the mid-1970s South Bronx to break dancing and scratching to West Coast gangsta rap of the 1980s, as well as chronicles the bitter turf war between West Coast and East Coast rappers. The film asks the right questions: Are the lyrics that refer to women as bitches and hos as misogynist as they sound? Should the musicians abandon their roots when they strike it rich? But contradictory responses and fast, jumpy pacing leave the issues inadequately addressed.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Rhyme and Reason from Infoplease:
- rhyme: meaning and definitions - rhyme: Definition and Pronunciation
- Holy Man - Holy Man Director: Stephen Herek Writer: Tom Schulman Touchstone Pictures; PG; 113 minutes Release: ...
- Common - Common Like Water for Chocolate Jive If you watch sales figures long enough, you might start to get ...
- Teeth - Teeth From the teeth outwards. Merely talk; without real significance. “Much of the ... talk ...
- William Shakespeare: Merry Wives of Windsor, Act V, Scene V - The Windsor bell hath struck twelve; the minute draws on. Now, the hot-blooded gods assist me! Remember, Jove, thou wast a bull for thy Europa; love s