Birthplace: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ayres appeared in more than 60 films, but is known for being a conscientious objector to World War II. Both Hollywood and movie fans balked at his refusal to fight in the war, and his career ground to a halt. Later in the war, he volunteered to serve as a medic and chaplain's aide, resurrecting his film career. His film credits include All Quiet on the Western Front, The Kiss, and Johnny Belinda. He also appeared in nine films as Dr. Kildare.Died: 12/30/1996
More on Lew Ayres from Infoplease:
- Advise and Consent (1962) - Starring Henry Fonda, Charles Laughton, Don Murray, Walter Pidgeon, Lew Ayres
- The Kiss (1929) - Starring Greta Garbo, Conrad Nagel, Holmes Herbert, Anders Randolf, Lew Ayres
- Battle for the Planet of the Apes - Starring Roddy McDowall, Claude Akins, Natalie Trundy, Severn Darden, Lew Ayres
- Minneapolis, Minn. - Information on Minneapolis, Minn. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- 1948 Academy Awards - 1948 Academy Awards The 1948 Academy Awards were presented March 24, 1949 at the AMPAS Theatre, Los ...