|Director of Photography:||Michael Ballhaus|
|Production Designer:||Kristi Zea|
|Producers:||Barry Levinson and Steve Golin|
|Warner Bros.; R; 105 minutes|
|Cast:||Kevin Bacon, Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Bruno Kirby, Vittorio Gassman, Jason Patric, Ron Eldard, Billy Crudup, Brad Pitt, Joe Perrino, Geoff Wigdor, Brad Renfro, Wendell Pierce, Aida Turturro, Terry Kinney and Minnie Driver|
|Based on the book by Lorenzo Carcaterra|
Carcaterra's best-selling memoir created a stir when it was published in 1995, with skeptics doubting the validity of his story. The same suspicion arose again on the big screen, with the plot just a little bit too tidy and convenient coincidences popping up at every turn. But the superb performances by a handsome cast make credibility a secondary issue. Four adolescent friends living in 1960s Hell's Kitchen are basically good kids, and two of them are even considering the priesthood. But boys will be boys, and a prank involving a hot-dog vendor cart goes wrong, and the boys end up in reform school. At the Wilkinson Home for Boys, the kids are tortured and raped by four guards led by Sean Nokes (Bacon). Years later, two of the boys, John (Eldard) and Tommy (Crudup), now gang leaders in Hell's Kitchen, run into Nokes in a bar and revenge never tasted sweeter. When Lorenzo (Patric), one of the boys who is also still living in the old neighborhood, hears about the murder, he turns to Michael (Pitt), who is now an assistant district attorney, and they plot to get their friends off. De Niro as confidant Father Bobby holds the pivotal role in the film and turns in the most convincing and polished performance. In a smaller, more subtle role, Hoffman as the defendants' barfly lawyer nearly steals the show. Long and predictable, but enjoyable all the same.
More on Sleepers from Infoplease:
- sleeper seat: meaning and definitions - sleeper seat: Definition and Pronunciation
- sleeper: meaning and definitions - sleeper: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sleeper - Starring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, John Beck, Mary Gregory, Don Keefer
- Sleepers - Starring Kevin Bacon, Billy Crudup, Robert De Niro, Ron Eldard, Minnie Driver
- Seven Sleepers of Ephesus - Seven Sleepers of Ephesus Seven Sleepers of Ephesus , in a Christian version of a widespread story, ...