Last Man Standing
|Director of Photography:||Lloyd Ahern|
|Production Designer:||Gary Wissner|
|Producers:||Walter Hill and Arthur Sarkissian|
|New Line; R; 102 minutes|
|Cast:||Bruce Willis, Bruce Dern, Christopher Walken, Michael Imperioli, David Patrick Kelly, Alexandra Powers, Karina Lombard and Leslie Mann|
|Based on the film Yojimbo|
Hill's remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo ignores some of the original characteristics that made the film a classic. Kurosawa's unnamed hero would never vocalize his thought process as John Smith (Willis) does in the opening scene. Hill tried to capture the nihilism of the original, but in doing so, the characters turn off-puttingly brooding and reserved when they're not blowing away everyone in sight. Smith arrives in the Texas border town Jericho, hired as a mercenary by rival bootlegging, Chicago-based mobsters to protect the thugs from each other. He compromises his position as independent gun-for-hire when he falls for one of the gang's enslaved women (Lombard). An ultraviolent bloodbath that fails to evoke any emotion or sympathy.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Last Man Standing from Infoplease:
- Last Man Standing - Starring Bruce Willis, Bruce Dern, Christopher Walken
- A Good Day to Die Hard - Starring Bruce Willis, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jai Courtney, Patrick Stewart, Megalyn Echikunwoke
- 13 - Starring Jason Statham, Alexander Skarsgård, Mickey Rourke, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Ray Winstone
- A Good Day to Die Hard: The IMAX Experience - Starring Bruce Willis, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jai Courtney, Patrick Stewart, Megalyn Echikunwoke
- Harry Knuckles and the Pearl Necklace - Starring Phil Caracas, Jeff Moffet, Shana Betz, Emma Maloney, Nancy Riehle