|Writers:||Robert Altman and Frank Barhydt|
|Director of Photography:||Oliver Stapleton|
|Music Producer:||Hal Willner|
|Production Designer:||Stephen Altman|
|Fine Line; R; 110 minutes|
|Cast:||Jennifer Jason Leigh, Miranda Richardson, Harry Belafonte, Michael Murphy, Dermot Mulroney, Martin Martin, A. C. Smith, Joshua Redman and Craig Handy|
Nashville it's not, but Kansas City is everything we've come to expect from Altman: sprawling, romantic and intricate. But the film is flawed, and much of the blame falls on Leigh; she overacts to the point that her character evokes no compassion and is not at all believable. The jazz, however, is not flawed and ties the stories together. Redman as Lester Young and Handy as Coleman Hawkins are perfectly cast and remind us why they are considered contemporary virtuosos. Set in 1930s Kansas City, when mobsters, prostitution and jazz ruled the city, Blondie O'Hara (Leigh) kidnaps Carolyn Stilton (Richardson), the wife of a local pol, hoping to trade Stilton for O'Hara's husband, Johnny (Mulroney), a dim thug who has crossed the local mob boss, Seldom Seen (Belafonte).
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Kansas City from Infoplease:
- Kansas City, Mo. - Information on Kansas City, Mo. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- strip steak: meaning and definitions - strip steak: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kansas City: meaning and definitions - Kansas City: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kansas City - Kansas City Kansas City, two adjacent cities of the same name, one (1990 pop. 149,767), seat of ...
- Kansas City - Starring Jennifer Jason Leigh, Miranda Richardson, Dermot Mulroney, Harry Belafonte, Michael Murphy