Birthplace: Mako, Hungary
Newspaperman who emigrated to the United States in 1864 and began a successful career as editor and publisher of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He bought the New York Post in 1883. He bequeathed funds to establish Columbia University's School of Journalism and endow the Pulitzer Prizes, which honor excellence in journalism, letters and music.Died: 10/29/1911
More on Joseph Pulitzer from Infoplease:
- Pulitzer: meaning and definitions - Pulitzer: Definition and Pronunciation
- Joseph Pulitzer - Pulitzer, Joseph Pulitzer, Joseph , 1847–1911, American newspaper publisher and politician, ...
- Joseph Pulitzer - Biography of Joseph Pulitzer, Newspaperman who started the Pulitzer Prize
- April 10 Birthdays: Joseph Pulitzer - April 10 birthdays: Joseph Pulitzer, Frances Perkins, Matthew C. Perry, William Booth, Dolores Huerta
- Joseph PULITZER - Joseph PULITZER (1847-1911) PULITZER, Joseph, a Representative from New York; born in Makdo, near ...