|Music:||Giacomo Puccini |
|Libretto|| Giuseppe Adami and Renato Simoni, based on Carlo Gozzi's fable|
|Premiere:||Milan, April 25, 1926|
Puccini's last opera was left unfinished at his death, and what he had intended to be a final, transcendent love duet was completed by a younger colleague, Franco Alfano. In Peking's Imperial Palace, the fatally beautiful Princess Turandot receives unlucky suitors from far and wide, who must answer three riddles to win her hand—or die. Calaf, son of the exiled King Timur of Tartary, is struck with Turandot's beauty, and ignoring protests from his father and Liù, the servant girl who loves him, he matches wits with the princess. Although he guesses the three riddles, Calaf offers his life to Turandot if she can discover his secret name. Searching the city in vain, the princess finally tortures faithful Liù, driving her to suicide. Faced with Liù's sacrifice and Calaf's stern devotion, Turandot crumbles, and weeping in Calaf's arms, she declares that his secret name is Love.
More on Turandot from Infoplease:
- The Turandot Project - Starring Zubin Mehta, Zhang Yimou
- The Metropolitan Opera: Turandot - Starring Maria Guleghina, Marina Poplavskaya, Marcello Giordani, Samuel Ramey
- The Metropolitan Opera: Turandot Encore - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- MET Summer Encore: Turandot - Starring Maria Guleghina, Marcello Giordani
- Birgit Nilsson - Nilsson, Birgit Nilsson, Birgit , 1918–2005, Swedish soprano. Her powerful voice first came ...