|Libretto:||Giuseppe Giacosa and Luigi Illica|
|Premiere:||Milan, February 17, 1904|
One of the world's most popular operas, Madama Butterfly passionately explores the consequences of obsessive devotion. Pinkerton, a U.S. Navy officer in Japan, contracts what he considers a temporary marriage to Cio-Cio-San, called Butterfly, who renounces religion and family in her adoration for him. When Pinkerton leaves for America, Butterfly blissfully ignores warnings of his unfaithfulness and awaits his return, even turning down a marriage proposal from Yamadori, a rich Japanese businessman. With all avenues of escape closed to her, she is shattered when Pinkerton returns with an American wife. Butterfly ends her unbearable misery with her father's sword, thus preserving her honor.
More on Madama Butterfly from Infoplease:
- The Metropolitan Opera: Madama Butterfly - Starring Patricia Racette, Maria Zifchak, Marcello Giordani, Dwayne Croft
- The Metropolitan Opera: Madama Butterfly Encore - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- The Met Summer Encore: Madama Butterfly - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- Renata Tebaldi - Tebaldi, Renata Tebaldi, Renata , 1922–2004, Italian lyric soprano. She received early ...
- This Day in History: February 17 - February 17 Yesterday Tomorrow 1600 Italian philospher, alchemist, and Copernican theory advocate ...