|Libretto:||Donizetti and Giovanni Ruffini|
|Premiere:||Paris, January 3, 1843|
Donizetti's exuberant farce chronicles the illfated attempts of elderly bachelor Don Pasquale to snare a wife while he tries to stop his nephew, Ernesto, from doing the same. Ernesto loves the lively widow Norina, and the couple are persuaded to assist Don Pasquale's friend Malatesta in a plot to ruin the old man's fantasies of marriage. Norina, posing as Don Pasquale's innocent bride-to-be, becomes a shrew after their marriage is finalized, terrorizing her husband and even boxing his ears. As a last straw, Don Pasquale finds a carefully planted love note from Ernesto to Norina that leads him and Malatesta to “discover” the lovers in the garden. The wise Malatesta reconciles everyone, and all ends well.
More on Don Pasquale from Infoplease:
- The Metropolitan Opera: Don Pasquale - Starring Anna Netrebko, Matthew Polenzani, Mariusz Kwiecien, John Del Carlo
- The Metropolitan Opera: Don Pasquale Encore - Starring Anna Netrebko, Matthew Polenzani, Mariusz Kwiecien, John Del Carlo
- The Met Summer Encore: Don Pasquale - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- Giulia Grisi - Grisi, Giulia Grisi, Giulia , 1811–69, Italian operatic soprano. She toured the United States ...
- Gaetano Donizetti - Donizetti, Gaetano Donizetti, Gaetano , 1797–1848, Italian composer. He studied music in ...