Alfredo StroessnerAge: 93
authoritarian president and dictator of Paraguay who assumed power in a coup in 1954 and remained president until 1989, when he was overthrown in a military coup and exiled. He was in power longer than any other leader in 20th-century Latin America and known for brutally suppressing opposition and sheltering Nazi war criminals, including Josef Mengele. Died: Brasília, Brazil, Aug. 16, 2006
More on Alfredo Stroessner from Infoplease:
- Stroessner: meaning and definitions - Stroessner: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alfredo Stroessner - Stroessner, Alfredo Stroessner, Alfredo , 1912–2006, president and dictator of Paraguay ...
- Paraguay - Information on Paraguay — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Paraguay, country, South America: History - History Early History European influence in Paraguay began with the early explorations of the ...
- Paraguay - Paraguay Profile: People, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Defense, U.S.-Paraguay Relations