Afghan man, faced the death penalty for converting to Christianity from Islam, a move considered apostasy and punishable by death under Islamic law. International leaders urged Afghan president Hamid Karzai to release Rahman, but he refused, saying the case was under the jurisdiction of the judiciary. Because of a technicality, Rahman was released in March. Italy granted him asylum.
More on Abdul Rahman from Infoplease:
- Abdul Rahman: meaning and definitions - Abdul Rahman: Definition and Pronunciation
- Rahman: meaning and definitions - Rahman: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tunku Abdul Rahman - Rahman, Tunku Abdul Rahman, Tunku Abdul , 1903–90, Malaysian political leader. A prince, he ...
- Tunku Abdul Rahman - Abdul Rahman, Tunku: Abdul Rahman, Tunku: see Rahman, Tunku Abdul.
- Abdul Razak - Razak, Abdul Razak, Abdul , 1922–76, prime minister of Malaysia (1970–76). Elected to ...