resigned as president of Harvard University in June, after a particularly tumultuous year. In 2005, he suggested that innate differences between men and women might explain why there are fewer women than men at the top levels in science and math. His problems continued into 2006: the resignation/firing of William Kirby, the dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, prompted outrage among the faculty.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Lawrence Summers from Infoplease:
- Lawrence Summers, - Lawrence Summers, former treasury secretary, was named Harvard University's 27th president in ...
- Lawrence Summers, - Lawrence Summers, president of Harvard University, set off a storm of criticism in academia when he ...
- Lawrence Summers - Biography of Lawrence Summers, Director of the U.S. National Economic Council, 2009-present
- Robert Edward Rubin - Rubin, Robert Edward Rubin, Robert Edward , 1938–, U.S. business executive and government ...
- September 2010 Current Events: U.S. News - Current events in the United States for the month of September 2010, including Don't Ask Don't Tell, President Barack Obama, and recession details.