A legendary king who unified India and the then-known world. He has been identified in Hindu traditions with the son of King Dushyanta, and in Jain traditions with the son of Lord Rishabha. The official Sanskrit name for India is Bharat, which is derived from Bharata.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Bharata from Infoplease:
- Bharata Natya: meaning and definitions - Bharata Natya: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bharat - Bharat Bharat , a name for the Republic of India. It is derived from Bharata, a tribe famous in ...
- Seventh Prapathaka - 1. Narada approached Sanatkumara and said, Teach me, Sir! Sanatkumara said to him: Please to tell me what you know; afterward I shall tell you what is
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index bes besague Besançon besant bescreen bescribble beseech beseem Beseleel ...
- dance: Ritualistic and Ceremonial Dance - Ritualistic and Ceremonial Dance Native American dances illustrate most of the purposes of dance ...