Vine DeloriaAge: 72
leading American Indian scholar, famous for his many books on American Indian life and identity. His books were meant to shatter the stereotypes about American Indians. His most famous book, Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto, became an important book among the early Indian rights activists. Deloria's writing was often provocative, angry, and challenging. He felt this was the best way to shock people out of their complacency. Died: Denver, Colo., Nov. 13, 2005
More on Vine Deloria from Infoplease:
- Deloria: meaning and definitions - Deloria: Definition and Pronunciation
- Vine Deloria, Jr. - Vine Deloria, Jr. Leading Standing Rock Sioux scholar, writer and activist Born: March 26, 1933 ...
- American-Indian Biographies—A to Z - Read biographies of notable American Indians, including Sherman Alexie, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Will Rogers, Jim Thorpe, Sitting Bull, Tecumseh, and more.
- A-D - A-D Spencer Abraham Daniel Kahikina Akaka Archibald Alphonso Alexander Samuel A. Alito, Jr. Paula ...
- American Indian Quotations - All I try to do is portray Indians as we are, in creative ways. With imagination and poetry. I think a lot of Native American literature is stuck in one idea...