politician, became Germany's first female chancellor in October. Her Christian Democratic Union narrowly defeated Gerhard Schröder's Social Democratic Party (SDP) in September elections. As part of a power-sharing deal with the SDP, Merkel assumed the post as chancellor and the SDP took control of eight of 14 ministries. Merkel is also the first person from East Germany to lead the country.
More on Angela Merkel from Infoplease:
- Angela Merkel - Biography of Angela Merkel, The Chancellor of Germany, 2005-present
- Angela Merkel - Merkel, Angela Merkel, Angela , 1954–, German politician, b. Hamburg as Angela Dorothea ...
- Year in Review, 2011 - A synopsis of the euro debt crisis in 2011|Future of Euro in Peril as Crisis Spreads
- 2005 World History - 2005 World History Mahmoud Abbas (1935– ) Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (1956– ) Angela Merkel ...
- Gerhart Schröder, - Gerhart Schröder, German chancellor, gave up his post in October, after his Social Democratic ...