public official, became the country's first Hispanic attorney general in February. In a tighter vote than anticipated, the Senate approved his nomination 60–36. Gonzales, former counsel to President Bush, faced harsh questioning during his confirmation hearings from Democrats and Republicans alike about the abuse at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. He has also been criticized for drafting policies that have drastically limited access to government information and allowed the Bush administration to circumscribe the Geneva Conventions.
More on Alberto Gonzales from Infoplease:
- Alberto Gonzales - Biography of Alberto Gonzales, U.S. Attorney General, 2005-2007
- 2004 News of the Nation - 2004 News of the Nation —Borgna Brunner Security and Reconstruction in Iraq In 2004, the ...
- Michael Bernard Mukasey - Mukasey, Michael Bernard Mukasey, Michael Bernard , 1941–, American jurist, b. Bronx, N.Y., ...
- Year in Review, 2007 - An overview of national and international events, people in the news, timelines, and quizzes|Top events for the nation and the world
- Cabinet Members Under G. W. Bush - Cabinet Members Under G. W. Bush Secretary of State Gen. Colin L. Powell, 2001–2005 ...