Glenn CurtissBorn: 1878
Hydroaeroplane. In Jan. 1911, Curtiss successfully flew from water to land and from land to water. He generated over 70 patents during his lifetime, including designs for dirigibles, airplanes, flying boats, and the aileron, which is a device for maintaining the lateral balance of airplanes. He founded the first company created specifically for manufacturing airplanes.Died: 1930
More on Glenn Curtiss from Infoplease:
- Curtiss: meaning and definitions - Curtiss: Definition and Pronunciation
- Glenn Hammond Curtiss - Curtiss, Glenn Hammond Curtiss, Glenn Hammond, 1878–1930, American inventor and aviation ...
- The Wright Brothers Centennial - Information about the Wright Brothers
- The 2003 Class of Inductees - The 2003 Class of Inductees George Carruthers, 1939–, Far Electrograph Ultraviolet Camera. ...
- May 21 Birthdays: Alexander Pope - May 21 birthdays: Alexander Pope, Albrecht Dürer, Andrei Sakharov, Fats Waller, Henri Rousseau, Glenn Curtiss, Elizabeth Fry