Christo and Jeanne-Claude,
artists, stirred up heated debate over what constitutes art with the February debut of “The Gates,” 7,500 billowing panels of saffron nylon suspended between 16-foot-tall painted steel posts that wound their way through 23 miles of footpaths in New York's Central Park. The self-funded project cost the couple a reported $20 million and was on display for only 16 days.
More on Christo and Jeanne-Claude from Infoplease:
- Christo - Biography of Christo, The artist who wrapped the Reichstag with fabric in 1995
- Umbrellas - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- The Running Fence - Starring Christo, Jeanne-Claude
- Jeanne-Claude - Biography of Jeanne-Claude, The wife and creative partner of the avant-garde artist Christo
- Landmarks of New York City - Find images and information about notable New York City landmarks, including Central Park, the Chrysler Tower, Ellis Island, and more.