Rafik HaririAge: 60
independent-minded Lebanese politician and billionaire businessman who was responsible for Lebanon's economic rebirth in the last decade. He was assassinated by a car bomb, and many suspected Syrian involvement. Hariri, who frequently criticized Syria's continued domination of the country, served as prime minister for two terms and stepped down in Oct. 2004. Died: Beirut, Lebanon, Feb. 14, 2005
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Rafik Hariri from Infoplease:
- Rafik Hariri - Hariri, Rafik or Rafiq Hariri, Rafik or Rafiq , 1944–2005, Lebanese tycoon and political ...
- 2005 World History - 2005 World History Mahmoud Abbas (1935– ) Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (1956– ) Angela Merkel ...
- Lebanon Timeline - Timeline of Key Events in Lebanon by David Johnson and Beth Rowen 1920 1940s 1960s 1970s 1980s ...
- January 2011 Current Events: World News - Current events from around the world for the month of January 2011, including Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, North Korea, President Karzai.
- Lebanon - Information on Lebanon — map and flag of Libya, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population, culture, religion, languages, largest cities|Information on Lebanon — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.