president of Russia, called for a broad overhaul of the government in September, after a series of terrorist attacks killed nearly 500 people, including 340 at a middle school in Beslan, in southern Russia. The world community expressed deep concern that Putin's plans would consolidate his power and roll back democracy in Russia. He was resoundly criticized for clearly taking sides in Ukraine's disupted presidential election in November.
More on Vladimir Putin from Infoplease:
- Vladimir Putin - Vladimir Putin Prime Minister and President of Russia by Beth Rowen This article was posted in ...
- Vladimir Putin - Biography of Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation, 2000-2008 and 2012-present
- Russian Government Changes - Russian Government Changes, 1991–2008 by Ben Snowden Boris Yeltsin's sudden sacking of ...
- Boris Yeltsin's Life and Career | Timeline - Timeline of Boris Yeltsin's Life and Career by John Gettings 1931 1956 1976 1985 1987 1989 1991 ...
- Year in Review, 2012 - A synopsis of Russia's controversial Parliamentary election that sparked anti-Kremlin and Putin protests|Putin Returns to the Presidency but Protest Movement Gathers Steam