2003 Nobel Prize Winners
- Peace: Shirin Ebadi (Iran), for her work as a human rights activist and lawyer.
- Literature: J. M. Coetzee (South Africa).
- Physics: Alexei A. Abrikosov (Russia, U.S.), Anthony J. Leggett (UK, U.S.), and Vitaly L. Ginzburg (Russia), for theories about superconductivity.
- Chemistry: Peter Agre and Roderick MacKinnon (both U.S.) for studies on channels in cell walls.
- Medicine: Paul C. Lauterbur (U.S.) and Sir Peter Mansfield (UK) for discoveries leading to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Economics: Robert F. Engle (U.S.) and Clive W. J. Granger (UK), for developing statistical tools to improve analysis of stock prices and other data.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.