the commander of allied forces in the Persian Gulf, directed the war in Iraq from the high-tech U.S. Central Command (Centcom) near Doha, Qatar. President Bush called on the four-star army general in early 2002 to begin planning the ouster of Saddam Hussein. He worked closely with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld throughout 2002 and during the 2003 offensive. Franks retired in July and was succeeded by Gen. John Abizaid.
More on Tommy Franks from Infoplease:
- Iraq Crisis: Who's Who - Movers and shakers in the Iraq crisis
- John Abizaid, - John Abizaid, U.S. general, replaced Tommy Franks in July as the commander of allied forces in the ...
- Arlington, Texas - Information on Arlington, Texas — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Iraq Crisis, 2002–2003 - History of Iraq
- Presidential Medal of Freedom - Presidential Medal of Freedom The Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian ...