Lionel HamptonAge: 94
dynamic jazz vibraphonist whose rollicking delivery and backbeat influenced generations of jazz musicians and helped to usher in rock and roll. He also played piano and drums and frequently collaborated with Benny Goodman and Louis Armstrong. He's known for the 1942 classic “Flying Home.” Died: Manhattan, Aug. 31, 2002
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Lionel Hampton from Infoplease:
- Hampton: meaning and definitions - Hampton: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lionel Hampton - Biography of Lionel Hampton, Jazz legend who was "King of the Vibes"
- Lionel Hampton - Hampton, Lionel Hampton, Lionel, 1908?–2002, African-American vibraphonist and bandleader, b. ...
- Illinois Jacquet - Illinois Jacquet Age: 81 influential jazz tenor saxophonist and bandleader whose solo on the song ...
- Dizzy Gillespie - Biography of Dizzy Gillespie, The bebop trumpeter with the upturned horn