Worst Weather of the Twentieth Century
Climatologists, meteorologists, and hydrologists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) compiled a list of the world's most notable weather, water, and climate events in the twentieth century. Criteria for selection included an event's magnitude, meteorological uniqueness, as well as its economic impact and death toll. Events are listed in chronological order.
|1910–1914, 1940–44, 1970–85||Sahel Drought, Africa|
|India: 1900, 1907, 1965–67; China: 1907, 1928–30, 1936, 1941–42; Soviet Union: 1921–22||Asian Droughts |
|1912, 1922||China Typhoons|
|1931||Yangtze River Flood, China|
|1952||Great Smog of London|
|1953||Europe Storm Surge|
|1954||Great Iran Flood|
|1958||Typhoon Vera, Japan|
|1971||North Vietnam Flood|
|1991||Typhoon Thelma, Philippines|
|1998||Hurricane Mitch, Honduras and Nicaragua|
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Worst Weather of the Twentieth Century from Infoplease:
- Weather - Infoplease is the world's largest free reference site. Facts on weather, space, astronomy, explorations, inventions, aviation, computers, science, and the Internet.
- Disasters: Hurricanes, Earthquakes & More - Find statistics and facts about natural and human-caused disasters, including terrorist attacks, hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, oil spills, shipwrecks, space accidents, plane crashes and more
- Hurricane Season - Find 2012 hurricane season predictions and a review of previous hurricane seasons, including storm names, strength, and cost.
- Hurricane Katrina - Hurricane Katrina A disaster and its catastrophic aftermath by Borgna Brunner The eye of the storm ...
- Homework Center: Earth Sciences - Subjects » Geography » History » Language Arts » Mathematics » ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring