Seattle SlewAge: 28
big, black thoroughbred, who captured 1977 Triple Crown and went on to become one of horse racing's greatest sires; won 14 of 17 career races; earned $1,208,726 despite retiring at age 4, in 1978; sired 102 stakes winners, including Swale, A.P. Indy, Capote and Slew o' Gold; died on the 25th anniversary of his Kentucky Derby victory. He died after a second operation on his spine.Died: Lexington, Ky., May 7
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Seattle Slew from Infoplease:
- This Day in History: June 11 - June 11 Yesterday Tomorrow 1509 King Henry VIII married his first wife, Katharine of Aragon. 1770 ...
- Big Brown - Biography of Big Brown, Winner of the 2008 Kentucky Derby and Preakness
- Top News Stories from 1977 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1977. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data
- Triple Crown Winners in the United States - Find a list of the Triple Crown Winners in the United States, including the year, winning horse, and jockey.
- 3-Year-Old Colt or Gelding - 3-Year-Old Colt or Gelding Year 1971 Canonero II 1972 Key to the Mint 1973 SECRETARIAT 1974 Little ...