People and Families in Poverty by Selected Characteristics, 2005 and 2004
|Number (thousands)||Percent1||Number (thousands)||Percent1|
|INDIVIDUALS|| || || || |
|Family status|| || || || |
| Related children under 18||12,473||17.3||12,335||17.1|
| Related children under 6||4,747||20.0||4,784||20.0|
|In unrelated subfamilies||570||45.4||456||37.4|
| Reference person||234||45.4||181||35.9|
| Children under 18||315||46.6||270||39.7|
|Race2 and Hispanic origin|
|Age|| || || || |
|Under 18 ||13,041||17.8||12,896||17.6|
|65 and over||3,453||9.8||3,603||10.1|
|Nativity|| || || || |
| Naturalized citizen||1,326||9.8||1,441||10.4|
| Not a citizen||4,691||21.6||4,429||20.4|
|Region|| || || || |
|Work experience|| || || || |
|All workers (16 years and older)||9,384||6.1||9,340||6.0|
| Worked full-time, year-round.||2,891||2.8||2,894||2.8|
| Not full-time, year-round||6,493||12.8||6,446||12.8|
|Did not work at least one week||15,871||21.7||16,041||21.8|
|FAMILIES|| || || || |
|Type of Family|| || || || |
|Female householder, no |
|Male householder, no |
1. Percentage of total population.
2. Data for American Indians and Alaska Natives are not shown separately.
3. Hispanics may be of any race.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2005.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on People and Families in Poverty by Selected Characteristics 2005 and 2004 from Infoplease:
- People and Families in Poverty by Selected Characteristics, 2006 and 2005 - 2006 and 2005 poverty characteristics from race to work experience.
- People and Families in Poverty by Selected Characteristics, 2010 and 2009 - The following table shows the percent and number of people living in poverty in the United States in 2009 and 2010. Data is broken up by race, income, region, age, nativity, and type of household.
- People and Families in Poverty by Selected Characteristics, 2008 and 2007 - The following table shows the percent and number of people living in poverty in the United States in 2007 and 2008. Data is broken up by race, income, region, age, nativity, and type of household.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring