Stephen Jay GouldAge: 60
revered paleontologist and science writer whose theories, including punctuated equilibrium (developed with Niles Eldredge), which asserted that evolutionary change in the fossil record occurred suddenly rather than gradually, provoked heated debate and earned him a mainstream following not typical for evolutionary biologists. A Harvard professor since 1967, Gould wrote hundreds of essays and several books, including Mismeasure of Man and Wonderful Life. Died: Manhattan, May 20, 2002
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Stephen Jay Gould from Infoplease:
- Stephen Jay Gould - Gould, Stephen Jay Gould, Stephen Jay, 1941–2002, American paleontologist and science writer, ...
- 1981 National Book Awards - 1981 National Book Awards Autobiography/Biography Hardcover Walt Whitman, Justin Kaplan Paperback ...
- September 10 Birthdays: Sir John Soane - September 10 birthdays: Sir John Soane, Roger Maris, Randy Johnson, Colin Firth, Stephen Jay Gould, William Torrey Harris, Elsa Schiaparelli, Amy Irving, Charles Kuralt, Arnold Palmer
- Top News Stories from 1977 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1977. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data
- Top News Stories from 2002 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 2002. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data