president of Zimbabwe, in August ordered nearly 3,000 white commercial farmers to leave their land without compensation. Many of the farmers defied the order, and Mugabe threatened the farmers with arrest if they failed to comply. The land redistribution policy was denounced by the international community for contributing to food and economic crises.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Robert Mugabe from Infoplease:
- Mugabe: meaning and definitions - Mugabe: Definition and Pronunciation
- Robert Mugabe - Biography of Robert Mugabe, The president of Zimbabwe, 1987-present
- Year in Review, 2008 - An overview of how the 2008 runoff election between Morgan Tsvangirai, the leader of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change, and 84-year-old president, Robert Mugabe, failed to bring change or hope to Zimbabweans.|2008 news of the world from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe
- Year in Review, 2008 - An overview of national and international events, people in the news, timelines, and quizzes|Top events for the nation and the world
- Joshua Nkomo - Joshua Nkomo Age: 82 Father of Zimbabwe. Nkomo spent years fighting Britain and later white ...