Ben Nighthorse CampbellU.S. senator from Colorado
Born: April 13, 1933
Birthplace: Auburn, California
The only American Indian in Congress, Republican senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell is also a Northern Cheyenne chief. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Colorado in 1987 and served in the U.S. Senate from 1992–2004. Campbell was a leader in policy dealing with natural resources and public lands and initiated legislation to found the National Museum of the American Indian within the Smithsonian Institution. He declined running for a third term in the Senate, citing health and personal reasons. A three-time U.S. judo champion, Campbell was captain of the U.S. Olympic judo team in 1964. He is also a rancher, horse trainer, and jewelry designer.
More on Ben Nighthorse Campbell from Infoplease:
- Ben Nighthorse CAMPBELL - Ben Nighthorse CAMPBELL (1933-Â ) Senate Years of Service: 1993-2005 Party: Democrat; ...
- American-Indian Biographies—A to Z - Read biographies of notable American Indians, including Sherman Alexie, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Will Rogers, Jim Thorpe, Sitting Bull, Tecumseh, and more.
- Biographies of Presidents, Athletes, Artists, & more - Biographies of Presidents, Athletes, Justices, Entertainers, World Leaders, and more people.
- Infoplease: Encyclopedia, Almanac, Atlas, Biographies, Dictionary, Thesaurus. Free online reference, research & homework help. - Infoplease.com, a free, authoritative, and respected reference for Internet users, provides a comprehensive encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, dictionary, and thesaurus. Infoplease.com contains facts on all subjects including sports, entertainment, technology, education, world news, and united states government and history.
- Sacajawea Golden Dollar - The Sacagawea Golden Dollar The first new coin of the millennium Source: The U.S. Mint Ever wanted ...