Christiaan BarnardAge: 78
South African heart surgeon who made medical history on Dec. 3, 1967, when he performed the first human-to-human heart transplant. Barnard also designed artificial heart valves and developed advanced surgical procedures for organ transplants. He was a vociferous antiapartheid activist who created a frenzy in 1968 when he transplanted the heart of a mixed-race man into a white dentist.Died: Paphos, Cyprus, Sept. 2, 2001
More on Christiaan Barnard from Infoplease:
- Christiaan Barnard - Christiaan Barnard pioneering heart surgeon Born: 11/8/1922 Birthplace: Beaufort West, South Africa ...
- Dr. Christiaan Barnard - Biography of Dr. Christiaan Barnard, The doctor who performed the first heart transplant
- Barnard: meaning and definitions - Barnard: Definition and Pronunciation
- Groote Schuur - Groote Schuur Groote Schuur [Afrik.,=large barn], estate, Cape Town, Western Cape, SW South Africa. ...
- Hamilton Naki - Hamilton Naki Age: 78 black South African self-taught surgeon who in 1967 assisted Dr. Christiaan ...