Thomas L. Jenningsinventor
Birthplace: New York, N.Y.
A tailor in New York City, Jennings is credited with being the first African American to hold a U.S. patent. The patent, which was issued in 1821, was for a dry-cleaning process.Died: 1859
More on Thomas L Jennings from Infoplease:
- African American Inventors - African American Inventors Thomas L. Jennings (1791–1859) A tailor in New York City, Jennings ...
- Famous Firsts by African Americans (Inventors, Government, Law, Literature, Film) - List of famous African Americans firsts in government, law, and more.
- African American Scientists & Inventors - Read biographies of notable African-American scientists, including Benjamin Banneker, George Washington Carver, Patricia Bath, and more.
- Famous African American Inventors - Lewis Howard Latimer, Patricia Bath, and other exceptional scientists by Ann Marie Imbornoni Lewis ...
- Selected Biographies: J - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters