Sirimavo BandaranaikeAge: 84
Sri Lankan politician who, in 1960, became the first woman in the world to serve as a nation's prime minister. She became prime minister a year after her husband, Solomon Bandaranaike, prime minister and leader of the Freedom Party, was assassinated. Her daughter, Chandrika Kumaratunga, currently serves as president of Sri Lanka. Died: Sri Lanka, Oct. 10, 2000
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Sirimavo Bandaranaike from Infoplease:
- Bandaranaike: meaning and definitions - Bandaranaike: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sirimavo Bandaranaike - Bandaranaike, Sirimavo Bandaranaike, Sirimavo , 1916–2000, Sri Lankan political leader, b. ...
- Solomon West Ridgeway Dias Bandaranaike - Bandaranaike, Solomon West Ridgeway Dias Bandaranaike, Solomon West Ridgeway Dias, 1899–1959, ...
- Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga - Kumaratunga, Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga, Chandrika Bandaranaike , 1945–, Sri Lankan ...
- Encyclopedia: South Asian History: Biographies - Encyclopeadia articles concerning South Asian History: Biographies.