|Type of victimization |
|Rape and/or physical assault||24.8||7.6||24,972,856||7,048,848|
NOTE: Survey consisted of telephone interviews with a nationally representative sample of 8,000 U.S. women and 8,000 men. Definitions: Rape includes completed or attempted forced vaginal, oral, or anal sex. Physical assault includes a range of behaviors from slapping and hitting to using a gun. Stalking involves repeated acts of harassment and intimidation with the victim reporting a high level of fear.
Source: National Violence Against Women Survey, National Institute of Justice and Centers for Disease Control, July 2000.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Domestic Violence from Infoplease:
- domestic violence: meaning and definitions - domestic violence: Definition and Pronunciation
- Domestic Violence - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- Findings from the National Violence against Women Survey, July 2000 - Findings from the National Violence against Women Survey, July 2000 Domestic Violence Pervasive ...
- Society and Culture - Family Trends, Education, Gender Issues, Calendar & Holidays, Race & Ethnicity, Crime, Religion
- Calendar and Holidays - Family Trends, Education, Gender Issues, Calendar & Holidays, Race & Ethnicity, Crime, Religion