24, rewrote the PGA record book, winning his first U.S. Open in June by a whopping 15 strokes. It was the largest margin of victory ever recorded at a major golf tournament, and his 12-under-par 272 shattered the previous U.S. Open record by four strokes (in relation to par). He went on to win the British Open in July, becoming the fifth player in history (and youngest ever) to complete the career Grand Slam of golf.
More on Tiger Woods from Infoplease:
- Tiger Woods Timeline - A glance at the golf sensation's life and career
- Tiger Woods Grand Slam - Tiger's Place in History Anything is possible when Woods plays in golf's biggest events by ...
- Tiger Woods, - Tiger Woods, golfing phenom, set yet another record in April, when he won the Masters, becoming the ...
- U.S. Open 2000 | Recap: Tiger Dominates the 100th Tournament - Storming the Beach: Tiger Dominates U.S. Open A recap of Tiger Woods' victory at the 100th U.S. ...
- Masters Preview 2001 - The first of the Professional Golf Association Tour's four major tournaments held annually, the Masters Tournament brings together the world's best golfers, making it the golf equivalent of baseball's All-Star Game and opening day wrapped into one.