Jacob LawrenceAge: 82
modern figurative painter whose works chronicled the African-American experience. His socially compelling paintings, characterized by angular, richly decorative effects, told stories of hardship and triumph. His cycles of paintings include the Harlem, Migration of the Negro, and Coast Guard series. Died: Seattle, June 9, 2000
More on Jacob Lawrence from Infoplease:
- Jacob Lawrence - Lawrence, Jacob Lawrence, Jacob, 1917–2000, American painter, b. Atlantic City, N.J. In ...
- Lawrence: meaning and definitions - Lawrence: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Spingarn Medal (Outstanding Achievement by a African American) Winners (1915–Present) - The Spingarn Medal The Spingarn Medal is awarded annually by the National Association for the ...
- Bios of Artists, Painters, Sculptors, and More - biographies of notable artists
- Top News Stories from 2000 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 2000. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data