Nike chairman, withdrew a personal donation of $30 million to his alma mater, the University of Oregon, in May after the school joined the Workers' Right Consortium, a student-run watchdog group that monitors conditions in factories. Knight had lobbied for the school to join the Fair Labor Association, a labor-rights group that has corporate executives on its board. Nike has been criticized for working conditions in its Asian factories.
More on Phil Knight from Infoplease:
- Phil Knight - Biography of Phil Knight, Founder of the athletic shoe and clothing company Nike
- Phil Knight - Phil Knight Born: Feb. 24, 1938 Founder and chairman of Nike, Inc., the multi-billion dollar shoe ...
- Bill Bowerman - Bill Bowerman Age: 88 Oregon track coach from 1949-72 who co-founded Nike with his former student ...
- Will Vinton - Biography of Will Vinton, Creator of the California Raisins
- Steve Prefontaine - Biography of Steve Prefontaine, Oregon running legend and subject of the film Prefontaine