Fatalities by Transportation Mode, 1960–2004
NOTES: n.a. = data are nonexistent or not cited because of reporting changes; P = preliminary data.
1. Includes people on planes and on the ground.
2. Includes motor vehicle occupants, nonoccupants, and fatalities at railroad crossings.
3. Includes fatalities from nontrain incidents as well as train incidents and accidents. Also includes train occupants and nonoccupants except motor vehicle occupants at grade crossings.
4. Fatalities resulting from all reportable incidents, not just accidents. Includes commuter rail, heavy rail, light rail, motorbus, demand response, van pool, and automated guideway.
5. Fatalities unrelated to vessel accidents, e.g., individual falling overboard and drowning.
Source: U.S. Dept. of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, 2006.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Fatalities by Transportation Mode 1960 8211 2004 from Infoplease: