John Paul II,
pope, in March issued an unprecedented, comprehensive papal apology for errors the church has committed over the past 2,000 years. In the Lenten mass inside St. Peter's Basilica, the pope said, “Recognizing the deviations of the past serves to reawaken our consciences to the compromises of the present.”
More on John Paul II from Infoplease:
- John Paul II: meaning and definitions - John Paul II: Definition and Pronunciation
- John Paul II - Biography of John Paul II, History's first Polish pope
- John Paul II - John Paul II (Karol Józef Wojtyła) Age: 84 charismatic pope who was credited with ...
- March 2000 - March 2000 World Britain Frees Gen. Augusto Pinochet (March 2): Drops extradition charges because ...
- October 2000 - October 2000 World England Debuts Bill of Rights (Oct. 2): Labor Party's pet project, part of ...