50, Kurdish rebel leader, was sentenced to death in June after being found guilty of treason in a Turkish court. The leader of the Kurdistan Workers Party has waged a 15-year guerrilla war against the Turkish government, claiming Turkey has suppressed the Kurdish language and culture. Ocalan shocked many observers during his trial when he acknowledged that his group killed thousands, and he said he would devote his life to “bringing Turks and Kurds together” if he was spared the death penalty.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Abdullah Ocalan from Infoplease:
- Understanding the Turkey-Kurd Conflict - Background on the Kurdish conflict and the arrest of Abdullah Ocalan by Turkey.
- This Day in History: February 16 - February 16 Yesterday Tomorrow 1804 U.S. frigate Philadelphia, captured and held by Barbary pirates ...
- Kurdish History Timeline - Kurdish History Timeline by Borgna Brunner Related Links Turkey | Map Kurdistan Iraq Primer The ...
- Turkey - Information on Turkey — map of Turkey, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, and the national flag.
- 1999 World History - 1999 World History Thabo Mbeki (1942–) Eileen Collins (1956– ) NASA 1999 U.S. agrees to ...