62, president of Finland, helped persuade Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic to sign the Kosovo peace accord in June. The career diplomat has been president since 1994. Prior to his election, Ahtisaari led the Bosnia-Herzegovina Working Group of the International Conference on the Former Yugoslavia and headed the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Martti Ahtisaari from Infoplease:
- 2008 Nobel Prize Winners - 2007 Nobel Prize winners.
- Strobe Talbott, - Strobe Talbott, 53, diplomat, helped negotiate an end to the war in Yugoslavia in early June. With ...
- Kosovo: History - History Anciently inhabited by Illyrians and Thracians, Kosovo was settled by the Slavs in the 7th ...
- Nobel Prize for Peace - Below find every winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, from 1901 through 2009. Winners include Barack Obama, the Dalai Lama, Henry Kissinger, Theodore Roosevelt, and Desmond Tutu.
- Finland - Information on Finland — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.