Charles Goodyearinventor of vulcanized rubber
Birthplace: New Haven, Conn.
Early failures in business led him to carry on his experiments into finding a way to prevent rubber from melting when hot. He stumbled across the process for vulcanizing rubber, but failed to foresee its potential application to tires. He was impoverished and indebted throughout his life, and sold his patented process, vulcanization, for a fraction of its market value.Died: 7/1/1860
More on Charles Goodyear from Infoplease:
- Goodyear: meaning and definitions - Goodyear: Definition and Pronunciation
- Charles Goodyear - Goodyear, Charles Goodyear, Charles, 1800–1860, American inventor, b. New Haven, Conn., ...
- Charles Goodyear - Charles Goodyear Born: 1800 Birthplace: New Haven, Conn. Improvement in India-rubber ...
- Charles GOODYEAR - Charles GOODYEAR (1804-1876) GOODYEAR, Charles, a Representative from New York; born in Cobleskill, ...
- Naugatuck, city, United States - Naugatuck Naugatuck , industrial borough (1990 pop. 30,625), New Haven co., SW Conn., on both sides ...