Stephen Girardmerchant, financier, philanthropist
Birthplace: Bordeaux, France
He captained ships and settled in Philadelphia in 1776 to become a successful merchant and started his own bank. Loaned money to the United States to finance the War of 1812, and donated millions to found Girard College in Philadelphia. Died: 12/26/1831
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Stephen Girard from Infoplease:
- Girard: meaning and definitions - Girard: Definition and Pronunciation
- Stephen Girard - Girard, Stephen Girard, Stephen , 1750–1831, American merchant, banker, and philanthropist, ...
- Girard College - Girard College Girard College, in Philadelphia, an elementary and secondary boarding school for ...
- Bass Otis - Otis, Bass Otis, Bass, 1784–1861, American portrait painter and mezzotint engraver, b. ...
- Horace Binney - Binney, Horace Binney, Horace, 1780–1875, American lawyer, b. Philadelphia. A leading lawyer ...