Birthplace: Lisburn, Ireland
Having grown up on a farm in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, he moved to Baltimore and began working in a produce business. He later founded Robert Garrett & Sons, a wholesale grocery business, then became involved in the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. He became a developer of banks and hotels in Baltimore, and in 1848 built a steamship to link Baltimore and San Francisco. Died: 1857
More on Robert Garrett from Infoplease:
- G - I - G - I Franz Xaver Gabelsberger James Gadsden Lyman Judson Gage James Galanos John Kenneth Galbraith ...
- Current Government Officials: Australia - World > Heads of State Info Australia Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments ...
- Track & Field - Track & Field Event Time 100m Tom Burke, USA 12.0 Fritz Hofmann, GER 12.2 Alajos Szokolyi, HUN ...
- Selected Biographies: G - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters
- Discus Throw - Discus Throw 1896 Robert Garrett, United States 95 ft 7.5 in 1900 Rudolf Bauer, Hungary 118 ft ...