Baruch Blumberg Born: 1925
Birthplace: New York City
Test and vaccine for hepatitis B—Blumberg and Millman: The use of the test reduced the occurrence of hepatitis B after blood transfusions. The vaccine protects people exposed to hepatitis B virus and has been administered to millions, particularly in Asia and Africa. With hepatitis B an unknown factor associated with the development of liver cancer, the vaccine was the first against a major form of cancer. (1993)
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Baruch Blumberg from Infoplease:
- Blumberg: meaning and definitions - Blumberg: Definition and Pronunciation
- Baruch Samuel Blumberg - Blumberg, Baruch Samuel Blumberg, Baruch Samuel, 1925–, American biochemist, b. Brooklyn, ...
- Daniel Carleton Gajdusek - Gajdusek, Daniel Carleton Gajdusek, Daniel Carleton , 1923–, American virologist, b. Yonkers, ...
- Top News Stories from 1976 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1976. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data
- Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine - The following table lists every winner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, from 1901 through 2009.