Eat a Variety of Foods
Foods contain combinations of nutrients and other healthful substances. No single food can supply all nutrients in the amounts you need. For example, oranges provide vitamin C but no vitamin B12; cheese provides vitamin B12 but no vitamin C. To make sure you get all of the nutrients and other substances needed for health, choose the recommended number of daily servings from each of the five major food groups.
|Food Groups1||Daily Servings2||Serving Size|
|Grains||6–11||1 slice of bread|
1 ounce of ready-to-eat cereal
1/2 cup of cooked cereal, rice, or pasta
|Vegetables||3–5||1 cup of raw, leafy vegetables|
1/2 cup of other vegetables—cooked or chopped raw
3/4 cup of vegetable juice
|Fruits||2–4||1 medium apple, banana, orange|
1/2 cup of chopped, cooked, or canned fruit
3/4 cup of fruit juice
|Milk||2–3||1 cup of milk or yogurt|
1 1/2 ounces of natural cheese
2 ounces of processed cheese
|Meat and Beans||2–3||2–3 ounces of cooked lean meat, poultry, or fish|
1/2 cup of cooked dry beans or 1 egg counts as 1 ounce of lean meat.
2 tablespoons of peanut butter or 1/3 cup of nuts count as 1 ounce of meat.
1. Some foods fit into more than one group. Dry beans, peas, and lentils can be counted as servings in either the meat and beans group or vegetable group. These “crossover” foods can be counted as servings from either one or the other group, but not both
2. A range of servings is given for each food group. The smaller number is for people who consume about l,600 calories a day, such as the sedentary or women. The larger number is for those who consume about 2,800 calories a day, for the very active or men.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Eat a Variety of Foods from Infoplease:
- Measuring Body Mass - Maintain a Healthy Weight Many Americans believe it is normal to gain weight as we age, but doing ...
- ECOLOGY - Ecology examines the relationship between living things and their environment. Animals adapt to the particular conditions of an environment and take o
- ASTRONAUTS - Since Yuri Gagarin became the first spaceman in 1961, hundreds of space travellers, or astronauts (called cosmonauts if Russian), have ventured into s
- HEALTH - Being healthy means being free of disease or injury and able to lead a fulfilling, active life. Many factors contribute to a person’s health, includin
- Ten Tips for Staying Lean - Ten Tips for Staying Lean 1. Curb calorie density Does fat make you fat? For years, popular diet ...