- Dec. 29, Ashtabula, Ohio: Lake Shore train fell
into the Ashtabula River when the bridge it was crossing collapsedduring
a snowstorm; 92 people were killed.
- Aug. 10, nr. Chatsworth, Ill.: a burning railroad
trestle collapsed while a Toledo, Peoria & Western train was
crossing, killing 81 and injuring 372.
- Aug. 7, Eden, Colo.: train derailed on bridge
during flash flood; 96 killed.
- March 1, Wellington, Wash.: 2 trains swept into
canyon by avalanche; 96 dead.
- July 9, Nashville, Tenn.: 101 killed in a 2-train
collision near Nashville.
- Nov. 1, New York City: derailment of subway train
in Malbone St. tunnel in Brooklyn left 92 dead.
- Dec. 16, nr. Rennert, N.C.: 72 killed in derailment
and collision of 2 Atlantic Coast Line trains.
- Nov. 22, Richmond Hill, N.Y.: 79 died when one Long
Island Railroad commuter train crashed into rear of another.
- Feb. 6, Woodbridge, N.J.: 85 died when Pennsylvania
Railroad commuter train plunged through temporary overpass.
- Oct. 30, Chicago: 2 Illinois Central commuter
trains collided during morning rush hour; 45 dead and over 200
- Sept. 22, nr. Mobile, Ala.: Amtrak's Sunset
Limited, en route to Miami, jumped rails on weakened bridge and
plunged into Big Bayou Canot, killing 47 people.